Thursday, March 1, 2012

March Mayhem

So it turns out that despite having more soul in the second year of teaching, I still don't have enough soul to write 300 words a day. Out of the 29 days in Feb, I succeeded in fulfilling my page a day challenge a grand total of 7 times.

Which, for those maths buffs out there, is just under 25%.

Not the greatest score in the world...

But on the other hand I wrote 7 times more this month than any other month. I started with two reasonably promising ideas (or at least I think so).

If you don't succeed?

In the spirit of try try again, I want to pick a new writing challenge for myself in March. A subtext to this whole writing challenge thing is that I'm feeling the burn of marks deadline, term end, reply slips, indemnity forms and so on...it is at times like this that I seriously doubt my vocation as a teacher. And writing has always been the single activity that makes me feel most alive. So my theory is: write more = feel energised = teach better. Alternatively, write a bestseller = retire to a small tropical island and never see another reply slip in my life.

But I think I also need to adjust my goals a bit. And despite wanting to christen March Murder Month, I think that might be overly genre specific (oh but doesn't the alliteration strike a chord??)

Goals for March:
  • learn how to type decent length pieces on my (non-smart) phone in order to make my writing a bit more portable
  • post two 300 word pieces per week (i.e. 8 in the month, but more spread out than last time)
Wish me luck amigos! Do you have writing goals for March Mayhem?

Yours in persistence,
JJR

No comments:

Post a Comment